Art Statement of Intent
At St Bartholomew’s School we recognise that Art and Design stimulates creativity and imagination. It provides visual, tactile and sensory experiences and a special way of understanding and responding to the world. It enables children of all abilities to communicate what they see, feel and think through the use of colour, texture, form, pattern and different materials and processes.
We encourage children to explore ideas and meanings through the work of a range of artists and designers. Through learning about the roles and functions of art, they can explore the impact it has had on contemporary life and that of different times and cultures. The appreciation and enjoyment of the visual arts enriches all our lives.
Aims of Art and Design at St Bartholomew’s School
We aim to ensure that all pupils:
- have the opportunity to record from first-hand experience and from imagination.
- develop opportunities to select their own ideas for use in their work.
- develop creativity and imagination through a range of complex activities.
- develop the ability to control materials, tools and techniques;
- increase their critical awareness of the roles and purposes of art and design in different times and cultures.
- develop increasing confidence in the use of visual and tactile elements and materials.
- foster an enjoyment and appreciation of the visual arts and a knowledge of artists, craftspeople and designers.